Tuesday, March 9, 2010

level of constructivism depends on the task and the audience

Today I am to talk about social constructivism and although important to evaluate and reflect on your deep values when it comes to teaching and learning, I find the idea of discussing your core pedagogy away from any potential future task in the classroom as confusing. After all, with my limited experience in the classroom, would I consider myself to be a behaviourist or constructivist in my approach to teaching? Well, doesn't that depend on the task? The students? Their age, ability and knowledge? It also depends on the teachers expertise.

Do I want to come from a constructivist point of view with students developing a deep sense of understanding and "aha!" -YES!

Will I initially fall into more of a behaviourist teaching trap as I venture into the primary classroom in my first year of teaching - probably.

At this point in time, without extensive experience to fall back on, without a classroom to act in or students to know, can I assess whether I will approach teaching from a constructivist point of view?

Of course what to teach and how goes hand in hand and perhaps I need to focus more on how to teach rather than how to fill that next day with meaningful activities for the students, with assessable end results and still following this rigorous, and to the inexperienced, enormous, curriculum. Contrary to the current interpretative curriculum, I wish for the old days' strict, descriptive format, with little need to reinvent the wheel.

I am sure this wish will diminish as my program and teaching repertoire develops - perhaps as the constructivist in me finds its place.

6 comments:

  1. You make a really good point about new teachers. There's no doubt that a more rigid curriculum is easier for new teachers to implement, but once you've been in the classroom for a while, I'm sure you'll appreciate the freedom to do things your own way. And I'm sure, too, that you'll find yourself balancing up more traditional (transmission, behaviourist) with more contemporary (constructivist, IBL, PBL) approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara

    I love your blog site, it looks fabulous!
    I think that when we become teachers, we will be using all of the approaches. It will just be a matter of "degree" as to how much we incorporate the constructivist approach, when we plan the lesson/project/subject area - either used throughout or parts of the lesson, or maybe just for certain students.

    Averil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that constructivism was just one of a plethora of teaching and learning perspectives we looked at last year; I find a lot of lessons I plan are amalgamations of different teaching styles, depending on what suits the students and the subject-matter being taught. Most lessons will shift between student-centred and teacher-centred based on content - technology would tend to be a tool used in student-centred (investigative) learning, where the teacher facilitates the educational outcomes of the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right, Matt, that (web 2.0) technology particularly lends itself to student-centred approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your childhood bedroom looks a lovely place to blissfully blog.

    ReplyDelete